Friday, July 31, 2026

back to rice and fruit only

day off anxieties, if Rachel shows.  Or will it be an ice cream and pizza day to see the Last Chair and even sip a beer?  John Sitter having trouble with walking and standing once more, miracle drug not working. Gray day.  Bulldozers on the street endlessly leveling and leveling the dirt in prep we hope for the paving trucks.  Are they just filling out their time sheets for full payment?  Does the earth need that much compacting and leveling?  What are the engineers trying to do?  Trucks still bringing in good dirt.  

German kids called mica "cat silver."  Into first paragraph of Adalbert Stifter's Motley Stones.   

what today's day off yielded---after lunch at Dos Aguates in Ashland and middling ice cream in Holderness---

Dear Mike Zuppa

Really enjoyed seeing this amazing achievement today.  
  
 (Taught at PSU for many years---lived here since '72.)

The entrance feels so dangerous.   Coming from either direction, it just scares me.    yes, at 82 I am one of those
cautious drivers.  

Our 32 year-old helper, a woman from here, agreed when I mentioned it.  She worries about it as I do.  

I hope you can improve it.   Better signs, much wider roadway, drive way, DOT Slow signs, hidden entrance, etc

I visited St Bonaventure years ago to look at the Robert Lax archive there.  From Cumberland, Maryland.  School at Ammendale, grad of U Maryland, College Park.  
 
A wonderful business in a fantastic location.

All best wishes to you.  
-----

Last day of July.  that must be why I obsessed about doing the rice and fruit diet once more and worried about too much cheese giving my left middle side foot the calcium bump it gets --- is it every summer?  

maybe days off are just best for feeling how strange things are, no matter where you go or what you do.  skimming on through Handke's plays just feels like a logical continuation of all of that  And too the old familiar deja vu feeling; that whole letter to Mike Zuppa feels like a repeat of one I sent once before, at this same time of year too.  Eve of school anxiety dreams beginning tonight, or tomorrow night?

alarm set to wake at midnight to get entertainment seats on the Royal cruise!!!

No comments: